What is e-waste?

We can think, more often than not that electronic waste is our old phones or computers that we have. However, we forget that our appliances are also electronic products. According to the UNU (University of the United Nations) around 20% of all electronic waste is screens, and small electronic items like our computers and phones. The majority, the other 80% would be large objects, like our electro; our dishwashers, we washer, dryer, fridge, stove, microwave!

In 2019 we are talking about more than 50mm of tonnes that fill our global lands with very toxic products (and a certain percentage that holds value). However, only 20% of all electronic waste is reported as recycled, despite the fact that much of this waste contains valuable products. For example, it is said that more than 7% of the world's gold reserves are contained in our electronic waste! Canada and the United States, for example, have very few recycling programs for our electronic waste, in the United States, for example, only 19 states ban the disposal of electronic waste in normal trash cans. The trend must change, however, the number of electronic waste discarded per year is growing rapidly, especially in Canada and the USA, where an average family now has more than 24 electronic products and forecasts annual growth of more than 5%. The old way of dealing with our problem was to send the waste to certain countries in Africa and Asia, this is no longer possible. We must find a Canadian solution to our Canadian electronic waste problem. Quebec is making herculean efforts, for example a Bécancour company recycles styrofoam and harmful gases from refrigerators, but the legislation in place is not strict enough to force the recycling of electronic waste which is no longer desirable. Think about it, if we translate all the global waste by individuals, we create, each of us, 22kg of electronic waste per year.